
Mr. Steve Earle takes the stage in 7 hours time. The show tonight is at Prairieland Park, which is a grand place to see a band in my opinion. Saw the Pixies there in the summer (?). I think I've almost completely given up on going to
SaskPlace Credit Union Centre to see shows. What's the point when you pay close to $50 to be crammed in your tiny uncomfortable plastic seat with your knees pressing up on some rhythmically challenged 60 yr old's head in front of you, facing sideways at
just the right angle to produce a near-permanent kink in your neck? Cabarets, fine, but I've had just about enough of that place and it's amazing ability to quash a good time. I did see James Brown there a while back, and although I didn't enjoy the show, I hear other people did. First of all, I couldn't shake the feeling that we were the
lamest, whitest, small-town audience that James Brown had ever played for. Everywhere we went (and we tried out a few seats because it was
that empty) we were surrounded by aboveforementioned rhythmically challenged 50+ yr olds, swaying and snapping their fingers to the godfather of soul. Never mind the Budweiser Girls on stage, never mind the fake tits and teased blonde hair that JB felt he needed doing aerobics moves beside him, SaskPlace in and of itself sucked. We were standing at the back of the auditorium (where you can at least move) and a security guard came up and flashed his big flashlight at us, told us not to dance past the big black line on the floor. I think there were 4 of standing there. Watch the fuck out.
Anyway, Prairieland Park is a big-ass concrete barn, essentially. One side corralled off for beer, the back half has some picnic tables, and it's free-standing free-moving freedom. Thank the freaking lord.
(and p.s. thank
you, Jeff!)
1 Comments:
Sally, that was the best show I've seen in years, probably. He rocked hard, and had lots of good anti-corporate american rhetoric as well. By all means, go!
Post a Comment
<< Home