stumble-too-long
Jesus. I've been playing with browsers for the last 5 days, trying to figure out what works better than IE7 which is forever timing out and freezing and not responding. Started with Safari, which was quick and has a nice layout and good fonts. Spent the better part of an hour manually adding RSS feeds one by one by one by one, only to find out that they don't actually update themselves at all. Maybe I did something wrong, who knows. Then I decided to try Firefox cuz it has more applications and supposedly has a better system for feeds... so I spend another couple of hours tweaking and importing and playing with settings.... it's better, but still not quite as nice as the feed system in IE (or at least I think). The RSS add-on I have has to be manually refreshed to check for new posts every time.... why does it have to be like that? Isn't the whole point of feeds is that they update themselves? Anyways, I'm tired of fucking around with things so I guess I'll leave it for the time being. But one of the things I did install is stumbleupon... and holy canoli have I spent hours on this thing. You can seriously get lost doing this. And I've learned two things: 1) there is a lot of crap on the interwebs and 2) there are some seriously beautiful photographs out there. And lots of bad ones too, but boy I've seen some pretty pretty things in the last week. And now I need to step away from the computer and get some shit done already. Don't need to waste a day off sitting indoors.



5 Comments:
Google Reader works like a dream for me. Read your subscribed sites from any browser at any computer. Just log in and it shows you only the unread posts. (You can also set it so it shows all posts, but that's not terribly impressive.) It automatically refreshes, too, so you can leave it open in one browser tab where you see the number of unread posts in the title.
Then you can concentrate on just finding a fast browser, instead of a fast browser that also has a convenient rss plug-in.
Hey dave, long time no talk. Is this something you have to log in to every time you turn the computer on? Or does it remember you? Is it tied into gmail? ultimately I'd like to not have more usernames/passwords out there but... you can't really do much without them these days. Ugh.
It's part of your Google account, so if you're signed in to Gmail you're signed in to Google Reader (same username, same password).
Once you're in Gmail, check out the links at the very top of the page: Calendar, Documents, Photos, Reader, etc. (or it might be under "More")
After you've initialized Google Reader, clicking on the rss icon in a website's address bar will give you the option of adding the feed to Google Reader.
Try it out!
StumbleUpon is highly addictive. I actually will only let myself click on it about once a week, because otherwise I'm stuck for hours.
Dude. I spent about 5 hours on it on Wednesday. And that's a bad bad thing. Did my bathroom get cleaned? Nope. How about the dishes? Nope. The kitchen floor? El nope. The back bedroom in preparation for Kim's visit? Nope.
Google reader works pretty good, I gotta admit. I'm happy for now.
Will I see you for beers in Regina next weekend Schmutzie?
Post a Comment
<< Home