September 01, 2008

a day at home with CNN and my paranoia

Well, I been up since 9:30 and I've had CNN on the whole damn time watching the coverage of Hurricane Gustav. I'm a little weirded out by the whole thing. Not the hurricane, that's not weird in and of itself, but it seems really fucking weird to me that there is a huge hurricane heading right towards the very place that produces the majority of American oil. And not only that, but it's right at the same damn time that the Democratic electoral conference is supposed to be taking place. I wonder how many people on the other side of the world are cheering? I know, I know, it's not like anything deliberate caused it but it does seem really creepy to me. What's also really weird is that the Important White Men are forgoing the conference due to the hurricane, but all of their wives are speaking on their behalfs. What the hell is that? I should probably turn the the tv off. Or at least change the channel.

I also had weird weekend not really feeling safe in my house. On friday night I came home in a cab after dancing at Diva's with a girl friend (not a girlfriend). When we pulled up at my house I saw a cop car across the street just sitting there with its lights on. "Oh well," I joked, "at least they're there instead of not being there if they're needed". So I paid the cab and started walking up towards my house. The cop car comes across the street and I hear him ask the cab driver where he picked up from. What the fuck? So I went back out and flagged down the cop and our conversation went something like this:

"Uh excuse me do you mind telling me what's going on?"
"Oh we're just doing a canine search."
"Uh... for who????"
"For someone we're looking for."
"Ok well I live RIGHT THERE IN THAT HOUSE ALL ALONE."
"Yep, we're right here" as they pulled away.

Ok holy shit I go inside and lock the door and close all the blinds. Then the next morning I start getting some random text messages from a long distance number who's looking for someone from the manitoba ip. Yeah. Wtf. I just keep saying "wrong number wrong number wrong number" and they're asking for my name and I won't give it to them. That's a fucking weird coincidence. And then at the fireworks last night I hear that the dudes that escaped from prison are in town and were spotted in the midtown plaza. And I'm driving myself NUTS reading all about them. So I'll be coming home before dark for the next little while. Or adopting a dog. Feel free to call me at anytime.

5 Comments:

At 9:35 p.m., Blogger Rob W said...

You must mean the Republican/Repuglican party convention. The Dems already held theirs ... Gustaf is just the gods/goddesses way of telling them to smarten up !!! Sounds like you have had an intersting 24 hrs.

 
At 9:45 p.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

Yeah - Republican. Whoops. Goes to show you how much I actually know about American politics. Still weird.

 
At 12:10 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldnt worry about being home alone. I asked and have it on good authority that the text messages after conversation with the police is a good example of an attempt at entrapment. I also have it on good authority that they were looking for members of the ip in your area that evening, AND that they found them. Rest easy.

 
At 4:42 p.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

They found them? I haven't read a paper in a few days, but is that the real truth?

 
At 10:06 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed. The whole truth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home