March 19, 2005

whatever happened to the bowlmaker?

I went for lunch with my old pal Ed and his girlfriend yesterday. They were driving through town after visiting the farm near Yorkton that he is from. I haven't seen him in over 2 yrs, despite the fact that he was a really good friend of mine when we met 10 yrs ago in University. At the time, he was a 7th Day Adventist and I was a hippie with a red Volkswagon van. But now, let's talk about now, he lives in Fernie, B.C. with the woman of his dreams, they recently bought a house together and they are happy happy happy and I am happy happy happy for them. It's strange, growing out of friendships, like growing out of a favourite pair of pants, so comfortable and comforting, and then gone. Anyway, the point of this story is that they stopped by to see my house, and then out of the blue he asks if he can have his bowls back. Says he figures he just kind of lent them to me, which I guess he did. He had made a whole set of dishes for a friend of his that was getting married and then didn't send them for fear of breaking, so a long time ago he lent me these 3 beautiful handmade bowls and 3 little matching plates. And now, he's taken them back. And to those of you that know this story, that's pretty fucking funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home