August 07, 2005

how to insult a comedian



So I have a friend in town from Wales, he's a stand-up comedian doing a one-man comedy show here at the Fringe this year. He's a pretty funny guy. And admittedly, it's weird talking to someone face to face after keeping in touch with sporadic short emails for the last 5 years, it's like meeting them all over again and/or learning a different language. There's all sorts of nuances and slang and speech patterns that neither of us are familiar with, but you'd think that would be ok, right? So I meet up with him on Friday night at the beer gardens, and my friend is wearing the worst pair of shorts I may have ever seen. They're pink and blue and loudly patterned and are made of a really thin material and are verging on indecently short when seated. Think bad English tourist. Think ultra-thin sarong material. Think bulges. And I decide to bite the bullet and say to him "those are quite the shorts you're sporting there" and he kind of laughs and says in his Welsh accent "yah, I guess I was feeling a bit adventurous when I left the house" and I say "yah, they're pretty funny". The night goes on and we meet up with Jenn and we drink some more beer and head over to the Green Room for actors and volunteers and try to explain to him how insults are common amongst us and they're really just terms of endearment and make a few more cracks about his bad shorts and then all of a sudden he just says "that's it I'm going home" and walks straight out the door, beer in hand, and leaves. I try to follow for a bit yelling at him to come back to no avail. He's gone, and he's taken his bad shorts with him. And I still haven't talked to him since. So today's lesson is ~ if you're going to wear questionable clothing, wear it with confidence. Embrace the quirk. For god's sake, have the cajones to back it up, please. Just don't let me see them.

5 Comments:

At 8:26 a.m., Blogger calamityjenn said...

Nicely put pal, nicely put...

 
At 2:18 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I soiled myself reading that about your reunion. I would expect no less than threadbare and threatening clothing from that fella. But let me ask you - were there jelly shoes worn with socks involved? I recall getting a couple of jabs in about those puppies....
signed,
Come On, If You Don't Know Who This Is, I'll Be Very Disappointed.

 
At 4:34 p.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

jelly shoes... jelly shoes... oh god I can't remember... did I mention that long period of crack addiction I went through? It's ringing a far and distant bell but... I need some help. I'm so sorry.

 
At 6:46 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

The jelly shoe is directly related (but can act on its own) to the idea that every man MUST own (and subsequently wear) at least (at the very least)one pair of well-fitting, good pants. You, being the proponent of that idea (preaching to the converted) and myself being violently opposed to the jelly sandal (especially with socks); a conversation we often have whenever we happen to run into each other.
There, does that help?

PS - Perhaps it may take something stronger than crack to erase me. Perhaps.

 
At 1:37 a.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

It's you, tracey thompson, don't try to deny it. I knew it even before I saw you tonight. And may I just say, you are such a good writer? Very very nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home