June 30, 2007

summer in saskatchewan

What exactly is it about summer that kyboshes the blogging? I guess the obvious answer is that everyone is outside instead of sitting in front of their computers like they did during the dark dark hours of winter. I still spend a fair amount of time doing it, though, but most of it has been trying to get this darn thing back together the same way it was before I took it apart. 80+ hrs later and it's still not. For some reason I am way too emotionally attached to hundreds of email that were sent to me over the last 3 years, and even though I double and triple checked that I was properly saving the archive.pst folder I created, it's not loading them back in to the new and "improved" ripped version of Outlook that I installed. I seriously lost it when I couldn't get them to import. For some stupid reason I really need every single one of those messages telling me exactly what is wrong with me and why I will never be any sort of decent human being. What the hell is wrong with that picture?

It's funny, this busy summer thing. I've had a few conversations lately where everyone is realizing that summer kind of sucks. The way I look at it is this: You've got 4 months to do everything you've been planning to do for 8 months, and by the time that June hits you've got pretty much every weekend planned which leaves you no time to roll around in the grass and partake in random picnics and bike rides which is what you've been dreaming about all winter. No siree, summer is all go-go-go when really all you've been craving is sitting on a patch of sand next to some water for hours on end with no place to be. Those moments are hard to find in a jam-packed summer. There's the jazz festival (which shockingly, I hardly attended this year), and Taste of SK, and the Fringe (I am so not volunteering for that one again) and the Ex and Regina Folk Festival and Dragon Boats and weddings and funerals and farewell parties and jesus how about a moment to relax without feeling like you're missing something? So that's what I'm doing this weekend. I'm packing my SSO books and my awesome new bathing suit a la Marilyn Monroe and I'm heading to the lake with... 12 members of my immediate & extended family including 5 children and my mom. Ah well. It will still be fun. Those kids should be old enough by now to know how to mix a stiff drink.