April 13, 2008

here's what really happened

After an all-you-can-drink for $10 at Winston's on friday night for ye olde local ball team, a bunch of us decide to go to the Overdrive. Actually, that decision was made and I decided to tag along. Didn't feel like going to Broadway and was having fun with the folks I was with, plus it's right near my house so that was all ok even though the bar is scuzzy and young and stupid. I catch a ride with a couple of friends from work and a wife, and we try to go in the door at the Overdrive. "I need to see some ID" the bouncer goes. "Are you serious?" says I, the youngest of the bunch at 34. "These people are 35, 37, & 40 years old." "No ID, no entrance". I tell him he's being ridiculous and show him mine. He won't let anyone else in, so I say "well at least let me go tell our friends that you're not letting them in". So I go in and find the other girlfriends and tell them to go sort out the scene at the door. We're in the bar for a while, and I go outside to smoke a cigarette. I ask the same door dude if I can get a stamp, and hold out the top of my hand. He holds out his arm and smacks the inside of it. "Pardon?" I said. He smacks the inside of his arm again. "Are you trying to tell me that for some reason I need to get stamped on the inside of my arm as opposed to the outside?" I say and hold out my arm and he stamps me on the inside and doesn't say a word. So out I go, and in I come again, and we all dance for a while, and then out I go again for a cigarette. As I'm coming back in I flash my stamp and he grabs me by the arm and says "you need to check your vest". I said "I've been in here 3 times, and now all of a sudden I need to check my vest?" He says if I don't check my vest I'm not allowed in. I tell him I've been in 3 times, and that I'm not quite sure why he's being such an asshole. He says "you started it by being an asshole when you snuck in here". I say "excuse me? Snuck in? That was when I showed you my ID and came in right in front of you? That's what you're now calling sneaking in?" and he turns away and starts talking to someone else. So I just keep walking. And halfway to my table some other dude grabs me by my collar and tells me to check my vest or I'm not getting in. I said "I've been in here for an hour, what is your problem" and he says "we've told you 17 fucking times to check your fucking vest". I said "you actually haven't told me 17 times, you've told me three, and I'm not really sure why all of a sudden it's such a big fucking deal". He screams "check your vest, or you're getting kicked out" and marches me back over to the coat check. Now at this point I'm drunk and mad and start yelling "apparently they're going to kick me out if I don't check my vest" and the coatcheck girl takes my vest and I walk back to my table and start crying cuz I'm drunk and mad and vestless. So my friend's wife decides that it's time for me to go and offers me a ride home, I go un-check my vest and call the doorguy an asshole on the way out, and I'm home by 12:30. Free beer is not such a good idea in retrospect. But seriously, I didn't start it. And I'm still mad.

5 Comments:

At 11:15 p.m., Blogger Abigail Road said...

That makes me so fucking MAD. I've been getting ID'd at O'Hanlon's on the weekends lately. I just laugh and walk past usually, because seriously, I am obviously old enough, and I am there like all the time. I figure, if you aren't going to ID the girls that are half naked and obviously under-age, leave me the hell alone.

 
At 8:47 a.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

Exactly. And then another friend of mine told me she heard a bouncer there tell a young half-dressed chick who didn't have ID to just 'hide in the bathroom' if the cops came. W.T.F.

 
At 11:33 a.m., Blogger trinity67 said...

Getting asked for ID has nothing to do with your age - it's to ensure that anyone coming into that bar has ID to prove that they are of age.

Their attitude however, completely sucked. You're kind of fucked in rectifying it though as, based on how they interacted with you, instead of taking your complaint seriously they'd probably argue that you were drunk and out of control.

Never go there again. Or, find out which bouncer drives which car and barf all over it.

 
At 11:38 a.m., Blogger Elan Morgan said...

That guy was just being an asshole. He's probably one of those guys who classifies women with chutzpah as bitches.

 
At 9:18 p.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

In theory, I was drunk and talking back to him, but I had a right to ask those question and basically to question him in general, which was my first mistake. Obviously he didn't take to kindly to it and resorted to swearing and grabbing (!) me. And I leave in tears, nice. They don't have to worry about me going back anytime soon. But I might just to see if my picture in on the "banned list" ha ha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home