March 18, 2008

city and country

I'm off to BC tomorrow for 8 glorious days of no snow and green grass and ocean breezes. 4 days in Vancouver for some shopping and people watching, and 4 days on Saltspring Island for home grown vegetables and big belly laughs. I think it is just what the doctor ordered. I'm also going to see, and quite literally say my goodbyes to, my great uncle Tut. He and his wife Dot (I'm not joking) pretty much saved my hide when I mistakenly moved out to Vancouver when I was 18 and found myself sleeping on a couch in some dude's basement. My best friend's boyfriend's brother's friend who was dying of aids. Yep. I was promised we had a place to live so I hopped on the greyhound and moved out there with her and woke up the 2nd morning to her boyfriend telling me I had to leave... so I called up my great aunt and uncle who I hadn't seen since I was 5 and they put me up for 2 months and fed me lots of fruit salad and we sang songs around their player piano and I stayed with them till I found somewhere good to go. I will forever be grateful for that, and them. It's gonna be hard. He's really dying. This trip will be full of life in every darn sense of the word.

2 Comments:

At 10:25 a.m., Blogger Abigail Road said...

I had a similar move to Vancouver when I was 18. Have a great holiday!

 
At 11:50 a.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

Seriously. We need to have some beers and compare life notes. The similarities are CREEPY!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home