February 25, 2006

Hot Kentucky Damn

That was a good show, probably the best one I've ever seen at Sask Place Credit Union Centre. Mr. Dwight Yoakam played for 2 hours straight, with just the right amount of chatter, a well-paced show and GOOD LORD, HIS BAND WAS FINE. Above, here, Mr. Eddie Perez, he of the shiney purple embroidered suit jacket, pink button-up shirt, and guitar licks so tasty I was salivating in my seat.


Mr. Transylvania here, also known as Kevin Smith on the upright bass, (yes THAT Kevin Smith, no not THAT Kevin Smith). The dude was 6'4" and wearing western-style man boots WITH HEELS. Fucking cool.

On the drums we have Mr. Mitch Marine, sort of a loner type, sitting at the back of the stage, unassuming and "quiet" but just rocking it hard on the kit. And, he does have the best picture by far.

But my favourite? The keyboard/ pedal steel/ accordian/ banjo/ maraca/ electric guitar/ harmony-belting/ tambourine-player, shaking his ass in his white suit so hard the whole night, just like he was in knee-high vinyl boots in a cage in the 1960's somewhere. Wow he was cool. Nice website, too, but damn if there's any pictures of him. In fact, that's my biggest complaint. Last night I saw some of the absolute best musicians I have ever seen live, and it took me almost an hour to find out their names. I finally found them, but they all have crap pictures, and only one of them has a website. How the hell are you supposed to be a grade-A professional touring musician without it? I guess though if you have Dwight's cell phone number, you don't really need a website with your contact info.

So the moral of the story?
DWIGHT YOAKAM ROCKED WAY HARDER THAN NICKELBACK DID.
Hell yeah.

2 Comments:

At 7:15 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny, because someone offered me free tickets to Nickleback. Of course I dismissed the offer, because we all know that Nickleback is really one of those bands that attracts wife beater Jerry Springer contenders. But forget about the inept showmanship of the so called rockers from Alberta. Dwight proved to me that his music and style, which continues to influence many artists, will historically be a big part of both rock and country music. To add to your moral. A free ticket is nt always a good ticket. Thank God I didn't I didn't subject myself to the aural torture of Nickleback.

 
At 9:14 p.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

And you know what else? Dwight was such a damn gentleman, in his embroidered maroon cowboy suit, he must have thanked the audience (about 1/7th of the size of Nickelback's) 5 times for supporting him and being a lovely crowd and coming to the show. He was so charming.

There's nothing charming about beer cannons, which Chad could not shut up about. But! I'm not sorry I went to Nickelback, I just wish it would have been the other way around, Nickelback for free and paying to see Dwight. That makes way more sense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home