November 20, 2007

what's the deal with home security?

Alright so I gots a cell phone a while back, and that leads me to the question of why even bother paying for a home phone anymore? Sure, it's a good deal and there's all the long distance you can shake a stick at but really, I've made about one long distance call in the last 6 months and for the amount of time that I use the damn long distance it would be cheaper just to pay for the charges themselves, no? Yes. But there are two reasons that I keep it, and they are thus: 1) E911, which essentially means that I don't have to talk if I ever do have to call 911, they just know where I am, and 2) directory listings, which apparently don't really work with cell phones. I don't know what is up with that, but I don't want to be completely unfindable. So I wonder if I should just get an alarm system? I know nothing about them. Do you need a landline for them to work? Anyone know?

5 Comments:

At 10:58 p.m., Blogger dyb said...

My mom's security system requires a landline. Once a night between midnight and 5am it automatically calls the security firm to say, "The alarm is working fine. Nobody's cut the phone or power lines in preparation for a home invasion. If you don't get this message, be a pal and call the owner." (Wordy, but the peace of mind is worth it!)

Maybe the nightly phone call is an optional thing in my mom's setup. Who knows? Call a security company to find out.

 
At 11:01 p.m., Blogger dyb said...

Er, "call the owner" should more accurately say "call the owner's cell phone." The security firm has five of our cell phone numbers on file; in case of an incident, they'll start calling all the cell phones until someone answers. That's a fun call to receive.

 
At 4:52 p.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

Yeah, but that's probably some high-tech US of A requirement. Maybe here in Saskatchewan they only require notice by sled-dog?

 
At 5:05 p.m., Blogger dyb said...

And I imagine instead of a siren that goes off in case of a break-in, there's a pre-recorded tape that goes "Cut it out, eh?"

 
At 7:39 p.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

Ha ha ha ha HOSER.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home