June 21, 2006

solo-stice



It's ok to just be bitchy, right? It's the longest day of the year and I'm craving sunshine so much that I don't even realize it. How hard is it to not disappoint someone? And how inversely hard is it to support or surprise them? I'm pretending not to care that he doesn't, and I'm pretending not to care that he does. I'm pretending hardest of all that I will still somehow be going to Wilco, but if it means going alone then I just can't fucking afford it. But then I watch the news and I see that New York City was 45 days away from some kind of terrorist death-gas in their subways and that North Korea has a huge nuclear missile that they are going to test despite America's declaration that they can't, and I wonder if I can't not afford to see a show that will make things right inside me for a while at least. I mean, life's too fucking short, right?

I was at the Broadway Roastery on 51st St this afternoon and glanced out the window to see a mother duck and her 8 ducklings start to waddle across Millar Ave in 4pm traffic. An old lady stopped her car and all the traffic and heralded them across the street. They started through the drive-through (man, apparently that's the theme of the week) just toddling along and then the mom just turned around and started heading back to the street. I ran out of the coffee shop and chased them back the other way. Didn't really know what to do, so we watched until they slipped under the fence and into the big RV parking lot behind us. And then we left. I don't know where they were going, but I sure hope those little duckies made it.

2 Comments:

At 9:49 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally picture you hustling outside to keep from seeing a bunch of duckies get squished.

Did you say "Shoo! ... SHOO!"?

I bet you did, hahaha.

That's a really cute story.

Miss Nicola = Good-hearted

 
At 5:47 p.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

Except for when you disappoint me. Then I'm a cold-hearted bitch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home