June 18, 2006

The Leviathan



This is the story of the Tim Horton's "drive-through" experience with my 1986 Ford Granada and my then-21 year old boyfriend. When I was in grade 12, about halfway through the year a young fellow appeared in my English class one day and sat right in front of me. He was from Toronto, and had come to live with his mom and step-dad, and was upgrading some classes at my school. He sang David Bowie songs to me, and took me afternoon drinking, and introduced me to Klimt and Bauhaus and the Rocky Horror Picture Show and Tom Robbins and P.I.L and all things mod and dark. We ended up getting an apartment together, I was 17 and freshly father-less, and we spent a good part of a year playing cards, drinking, and doing the occasional hit of acid. Me and him bought a car together with the help of his step-dad, and I was slowly teaching him how to drive. Growing up in Toronto = great public transit = no need for a driver's license. Anyways, one evening we went to his parent's for dinner. Right by their house was a movie store, and a Tim Hortons (Canarama Mall, for those playing along at home). We took back some movies after dinner and then decided to get a coffee. "I'm going to drive!" he said. "That's silly," said I, "it's 40 feet away, I'll walk" so I cut across the parking lot and he drove beside me and as he approached the front of the Tim's I waved him into a parking spot and watched in horror as he hit the gas instead of the brakes, and put that beast of a car straight through both sets of glass doors. My mouth dropped open. "I'm not even in the car" is running through my head. "He doesn't even have a learner's license..." So the cops show up and ask me what I'm on because my pupils are so fucking huge from adrenaline and we leave the car there and take a cab home. "Would you look at that!" exclaimed the cabbie, "somebody thought it was a drive-through!".

So we're on the evening news and we're being told that we owe $10,000 in damages for the store because we don't have insurance due to him not having a license. We make mad plans to move to the Yukon because we hear you can make good money up there. I seriously begin to imagine life as a showgirl in the north. Then, about 3 weeks later, we get a phone call from S.G.I. grudgingly explaining that we're off the hook - due to farm laws in Saskatchewan you don't have to have a license to drive on private property, and since we were on a parking lot, which is private property... we got served a $110 ticket for driving with undue care and attention. And the car came away with only a scratch.

Oh yeah ~ and I am was on 25peeps.com. Check it. I fucking rock(ed).

6 Comments:

At 3:29 p.m., Blogger dyb said...

That story ...

was AWESOME!

I love it when "We're fucked" turns into "We rule!" I just wish it happened more often for the folks who deserve it, and less often for the folks who don't.

Apologies if you've told this story and I've forgotten, but whatever happened to Drive-Through Dude?

I "voted" for you on 25peeps. While it sucks that losers with lame pictures outlasted you, take solace that judging from a handful of today's competitors, your blog is head and shoulders above the vast majority of theirs. (My own, less frequently updated blog is merely shoulders above theirs.)

 
At 10:39 a.m., Blogger greeneggsandtam said...

i like the notion of anyone driving through double doors anywhere. once i knocked the the little pay station off the island at the sev on eighth street due to a big car i wasn't familiar with and a misjudged u-turn. from the way the clerk was behaving you'd think he was going to have to pay for it out of his own pocket. some people have no sense of humour.

 
At 9:53 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally remember drive-thru guy.

I didn't know that he couldn't drive, but that somehow fits with my memory of him.

(which also, oddly, includes a memory of him pretending his hand was a bird while he was a passenger in the back seat of my car...)

 
At 10:10 p.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

You know, there are so many parts of my life that I just do not remember at all. Why was he in the back seat of your car? Where were we going?

 
At 12:41 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we just decided to skip classes and go for a drive one afternoon. I remember driving down clarence, along the river and up Victoria.

Weird that I remember all that hey?

 
At 3:39 p.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

Yeah it is. I think I skipped a lot of classes in those days, so I'm not surprised.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home