January 05, 2008

the tongue smeller

So I went to a naturopath doctor yesterday to explore my concerns about getting old and unhealthy and she: felt up my thyroid and rubbed cinnamon and vitamin A oil on my palms and probed my gut and looked and smelt (SMELT!) my tongue. And promptly declared me toxic. I started crying and she looked all freaked out and was demanding to know why I was crying. I said "I dunno, it's just weird to hear someone say that you're toxic, it's kind of harsh". and she says "well the real question is why aren't you taking care of yourself?" and I'm thinking... I didn't really think i was doing that bad... I know people that live a lot worse than I do, that's for sure. I work with people that I haven't seen eat a single vegetable in years and eat McDonald's every single day. People with donuts and cookies and potato chips on their desks every day. Anyways I'm going to do a 3 week elimination and liver cleanse diet starting monday and I'm scared shitless (or scared shit-full, more likely) and it's no gluten no dairy no coffee no alcohol no tomatoes no citrus no soy no corn no peanuts no processed meats etc etc etc. Then I read that I can have all the cashew butter I want (so delicious and expensive and delicious) and I got all excited until I realized... what the hell am I going to eat it on? Organic brown rice?

6 Comments:

At 11:15 a.m., Blogger Saskboy said...

Are you having allergy problems? If not, there's no other reason I can think of to go on a starvation diet like that. I know someone who did it, and I'll ask them if they thought it had a positive effect, but during it, they were miserable when around perfectly fine food.

 
At 11:19 a.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

It's mostly for detox and cleansing - something I've been curious about for a while, but it's also sort of a food allergy test. You eliminate all the common food allergies and then introduce them one by one into your diet again to see how your body reacts. I think it will be good to get down to the basics for a bit, although super super hard and scary. I'd be interested to hear what your friend says though.

 
At 11:38 a.m., Blogger Abigail Road said...

I don't know if I could do it. But good luck! Let us know if you feel better afterwards!

 
At 11:46 a.m., Blogger Saskboy said...

I tried a diet like that myself. It didn't work for me at all, I was still breaking out in hives even after I:
-eliminated all sorts of food from boxes
-ivory as laundry soap (and didn't us a lot of it)
-drank only water
-had allergy tests by blood and by skin, with conflicting results

The allergies cleared up by themselves months later, after I'd tried dieting, cleaning changes, and even antibiotics as a last ditch attempt. I can't say for sure the antibiotics didn't play a role, but there's no evidence they helped or hurt either.

I was down to eating just steak and rice for about a week, and was still breaking out, even with Arius in my system, even though after 3 days of being clear of allergens in food you should stop reacting.

It can become depressing to never eat what you want, and shopping is very hard, so if you feel yourself becoming depressed or have any fainting problem, please discontinue the tactic.

 
At 1:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

i find it interesting that a three week cleanse has been interpreted to mean "never" eating what you want.
Whatever.
Cashew butter on organic brown rice cakes -- believe it, y'all. Yepper.
Good luck with it, chicka!

 
At 8:57 p.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

I'm gonna give it a go. I can still eat lots of things that I love like avocados and fiji apples and cashew butter and broccoli and squashes etc etc etc. And it's mostly for the cleansing part that I'm doing this, the food allergy testing is just gravy (mmm gravy) on the cake (mmm cake).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home