March 04, 2008

slippin' slippin' slippin'

As much as I love my job, every once in a while I start to feel like this - like some automaton following the predestined pattern of 40hrs a week at the office with everything else taking 2nd place. Wake up, drink some coffee, eat some breakfast, pack a lunch, drive to work, spend the majority of my day in a room with other automatons, drive home, deal with making some dinner and planning lunch for the next day, relax for a couple of hours, go to sleep, rinse and repeat 5 out of 7 days of the week. On the days off, sleep in a bit, lounge around a bit, socialize a bit, don't get done everything that needs to get done, and start all over again. Of the 168 hours in a week one quarter are spent working, one quarter or more are spent sleeping, leaving approximately 70 hours a week to eat and well, live. That doesn't seem like enough. I would love to do some more travelling, but don't have enough holidays accrued to really do it. And I can't really afford it either, which makes no sense cuz I work all the damn time. But I feel like time is slipping by, and there's things I want to do before I get much older, and I'm not sure how people do it. How do you balance spending the majority of your waking hours working for someone else and making sure you are not wasting your precious time?

2 Comments:

At 11:10 a.m., Blogger silentdibs said...

I don't know that people do do it. This is the essential dilemma of life under "advanced" Western capitalism.

They say you can only have either money or time, but I always feel like I have neither.

 
At 6:13 p.m., Blogger miss.nicola said...

I'm reading a book right now where this 34yr old woman takes a year off to go travelling, and goes to Italy simply because she is in love with the Italian language and basically needs to experience some beauty after a super crappy hard year. She makes a good point about how the western world works super super hard and then finds a million ways to "entertain" ourselves as opposed to simply being able to relax and experience pleasure. All she's doing is eating and learning to speak Italian, and she said no one there even thinks about questioning her when she tells them why she is there.

Long sentence to say yes, it's been bugging me lately. I need more. I'm not experiencing things because I'm sitting at my office desk all damn day long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home