June 30, 2006

Buck, boyfriends, and bad fashion



Kinnie Starr was amazing last night. Freshly without a touring band and holding her own on stage alone, she demanded lower lights and louder beats and rocked the muthafucking house. Buck 65, not so much. He was awesome as a old-timey showman, complete with an inbetween-song schtick and bad jokes galore, but I was having a hard time pretending that his monotonous rap tone wasn't irritating me, and that the microphone wasn't too loud and brassy, and the sampler wasn't super high-pitched and deafening. Cool band though, a lovely red-headed lass on keys and a young lad who alternated between drums and bass. And I did like his new single, the one with melody in it? Yeah.

It was weird being at an all-ages show, I can't remember if or when I've ever been to one before. We got there right before the doors opened and ended up with the best seats in the house. Which was quite a feat, considering there were about 10 tables for the 300 people there. But it was funny to see the 13 yr old girls rush to the front of the stage as soon as the door opened. We just sat there with our $4.50 beer and laughed at their outfits. This one chick, I kid you not, had a white strapless thin cotton dress over an army green t-shirt with pink witches shoes... and there were black leggings galore, people! Holy shit!

It was also really hard as the night and the beers progressed to not start a fight with my friend's asshole-ish boyfriend. Well, asshole-ish in my opinion I guess. I've heard all the things he's said to her and heard all the wild accusations that he's layed upon her, and even me, cuz you know, I'm responsible for hooking her up with the one guy she dated while they had broken up for 6 months. I'm such a bitch! I attempted 3 times to make pleasant conversation while she was in the can or getting a drink and after being met with nothing more than a curt reply to my questions I decided to stop even trying. It takes two to make small talk, buddy. So I sat and watched the bands and starting singing Wilco songs at the top of my lungs when I'd had just about enough of Buck. It made me feel a whole lot better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home