November 09, 2008

you can call me master for short

Boy it's been a while, hey? I dallied with the idea of participating in NaBloPoMo for a while, but jeez I been busy. I'm sure I could find 2 or 4 minutes a day to post but.... yeah I got excuses. And here they are.

SHOWS! I been doing lots of them. If by lots I mean 2 in 2 weeks. But still... the halloween show was HUGE and took a lot of practicing and sewing and sequining. Hell, I even enlarged a hat. That's harder than you think. The show went great and even though I was nervous as hell about our bit it went off without a hitch... I was the host of a Monster Beauty Pageant and it was awesome even though I was super scared about talking. I had it all memorized though and didn't make any mistakes at all. And the 22 girl clown burlesque piece finale was super fun and no one messed up at all, which is great. 22 girls doing a pinwheel kickline could be dangerous if not done properly :) And then out of the blue the powers that be told me I was hand-chosen to start being a substitute MC for the troupe.... out of 100+ girls I was the first choice, chosen for my sharp wit and dedication and general awesomeness. So last night I MC'd a small show at the annual Anarchist Book Fair. And it was harder than I thought, especially when we hit play on the stereo and realized that it wasn't hooked up at all. Yes, I had to ad-lib. And yes, I pulled it off. It was scary and a bit intimidating but I did it, and it can only get better. I've got immense shoes to fill as our regular hostess is probably the funniest woman I've ever met, but she says she was nervous too at the beginning, and getting together to drink wine and come up with one-liners has been a lot of fun. She lent me some vintage MC "how-to" books and although most of the shit in there is super cheesy, my favourite line so far, on dealing with hecklers, is: "Well, there's one alcoholic that isn't anonymous". Har har. Or how about "Thank you for that wonderful round of indifference". Or "How are you? As if I really care". Yeah, some of them are classic.

In other news, my brother & cat are still firmly ensconsed in my spare room, I've gotten used to him in the last month and a bit. It's nice to have someone say hello when you get home at the end of the day. And he's actually a wicked cook - if I don't mind cleaning up after him. Homemade lasagnas and chicken cordon bleu and steamed asparagus and homemade cookies. It's been alright. I wonder if I should charge him more rent so I can buy these... even though there's a 50% off sale they still work out to $200 USD... sigh. I want 'em something fierce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home